Monday, December 5, 2011

Ça fait longtemps...

I've been a bit laggy on my blog lately, but November has been quite a busy month. I'm going to try to sum everything up in a few sentences for each event with a picture or two as well so this doesn't run too long.

A few days after the Embassy briefing, Ali and I (and a couple British girls) went to the U.S. vs. France soccer game at Stade de France. The atmosphere was really cool and Ali and I had a few typically American moments that were quite sentimental. While the big screen was being panned, I saw a guy wearing a Badger hoodie (THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!) and was really excited. It's really good to know that even when you're thousands of miles away from family and friends, there's always a Badger around. During the game there was a large group of people who were using the stadium as a political forum to express their views on international relations. In all my experiences at sporting events, I've never seen something like this. I felt like it got the crowd agitated, but also brought attention to the issue. At first, I didn't really understand why they would choose a soccer game for something like that, but then I realized that everyone did pay attention to them and they were expressing themselves for a large arena. They also got other fans informed and aware of their cause. Anyway, the U.S. lost 1-0 and most of the France fans found us Americans to be whimsical and amusing. They were mostly good humored about us supporting the States though there were a few exceptions.

Since then, life has been a bit of a blur. I went to a synagogue for a Shabbat service with one of my friends. It was a special service put on by some of the kids who had just gotten "mitzvah"ed. The majority of the prayers during the service were done as covers of popular songs such as "Hey Jude", "Pour Some Sugar on Me", and "Because the Night". I was thoroughly entertained and also impressed at the closeness of the community. We had an entirely Kosher meal after the service which was absolutely delicious! Also, I'm just going to throw this out there, Challah is much more delicious than communion crackers (wafers?).

The day after the service, I had my first Thanksgiving as an ex-pat. Even though we didn't get to have dinner on that Thursday (everyone had school on Friday morning), it was just as delicious and just as fun as I hoped it would be later on in the weekend. There were 5 nationalities represented at the dinner and I think most of them had a new found appreciation for Thanksgiving as a holiday.

One of the teachers from school invited me over to her home for a Sunday lunch with her family. It wasn't a typically French meal (though there was an aperitif and a cheese course), but it was delicious. Having someone else cook for you is something I must have taken for granted at home. I never realized how warming and relaxing it is to have a home cooked meal. The teacher and her family were absolutely wonderful. Her father was visiting from Marseille and once I expressed an interest in Sciences-Po for possibly doing a master's program, his ears perked up and tuned into my English as he was an alumnus there. After dinner, he offered to let me stay in his home in Marseille on a visit as long as I spoke French the entire time. French hospitality hasn't failed me yet!

In brief school news, I was instructed to help the students put on a skit about Jim Crow laws in the South. Mostly the skits were improv, but they were expected to use a few key terms and phrases. One of my students was speaking in favor of Jim Crow laws (as he was instructed) and somehow stammered out the phrase "but it will make the shit!" After regaining my composure from laughing so hard, I explained to him that I really didn't think his teacher would be impressed with his expansive English vocabulary in this instance. Not to mention that it was grammatically incorrect.

I'm hoping things will slow down so that I can post more often. Christmas break should give me some time to really focus on doing some cultural things in Paris that I've neglected thus far!

FWOTD: bosser (v.): to work

No comments:

Post a Comment